• [En]
  • [Fr]
  • [Es]

Immigration Law in Ireland

Immigration Law in Ireland

Updated on Wednesday 01st June 2016

Rate this article

based on 0 reviews

Immigration-Law-in-Ireland.pngIreland represents a top economy of the European Union. As such, more and more persons are interested in the Irish market and it is important to know that in the last years, the issuance of work permits awarded to foreigners increased by more than 30%. Persons who are interested in working or in relocating to Ireland should be familiar with the stipulations of the immigration law, which prescribes the legal requirements that should be fulfilled by foreign nationals. Our team of Irish solicitors can provide assistance on the legal procedures that have to be followed in order to obtain a working or residence permit in Ireland

Work permits in Ireland 

Under the stipulations of the local and international law, foreign persons are allowed to apply for a work permit in Ireland, which is necessary for certain nationalities. Citizens of the European Union or of the European Economic Area and Switzerland do not need to receive a work permit in order to work in Ireland. A more detailed presentation on this matter is prescribed under the rules and regulations of the Immigration Act 2004
The Green Card permit is issued for persons who are seeking employment in Ireland, who have receive a job offer from an Irish employer due to a lack of employees (or qualified employees) on the Irish workforce. The document is issued for a period of two years in the first instance, while at the renewal, the document can be issued for an undetermined period of time; our team of Irish attorneys can provide assistance of the requirements applicable to the candidate. 

Residence requirements for foreigners in Ireland   

Citizens of the EEA area do not need to provide a visa when landing in Ireland. At the same time, the visa in not required in the following cases: 
the foreigner is the owner of a travel document issued respecting the provisions of the Geneva Convention;
the person is the owner of a residence card or a permanent residence card;
family member of a EU citizen, who must own a document entitled “residence card of a family member of a Union citizen”. 
Persons who need further information on the immigration legislation available in Ireland can address to our Irish law firm for assistance. 


  • Roberto 2016-05-31

    Hello! I am an Italian citizen, but I'd be interested in opening a company in Ireland.  I'd like to know more on the application procedure (time, money, documents).

    Hello Roberto ! We can help you incorporate your company in Ireland. Please send us a detailed e-mail about your project at: and we will reply as fast as possible. Have a great day!

Comments & Requests

Please note that client queries should NOT be posted here but sent through our Contact page.